As part of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma, all students must complete 40 hours of community service over their 4 years of high school. This can begin in the summer before students begin grade 9. Community service is an opportunity to give back to others in need or support an organization that requires assistance without getting paid to do so.
Grade 12 students must submit their community service hours by May 1st of their graduating year to guidance.
- Come to Guidance to speak with your counsellor or guidance secretary. We have information from any organization who has contacted us seeking support in the community. We advertise opportunities over the announcements regularly.
- Check out our Volunteer Board outside the guidance office. We post new opportunities regularly here and monthly on our website link. Check back often.
- Check out the website resources listed below.
This is an online volunteer database and tracking tool that students can use to record their community service hours and search for volunteer opportunities in our region. Students need to sign up online to gain access to the site.
Looking for Volunteer Opportunities in Cambridge and surrounding area? Visit the Cambridge United Way website, select which volunteer opportunities are ‘suitable for‘ you, which ‘community‘ you prefer to work in and press ‘search‘. Students can create a Volunteer Profile which makes it easier to apply for positions, and can notify you of new positions that meet your criteria.
The City of Cambridge offers a wide range of volunteer opportunities for students. Check out the link to explore ways to connect with your community.
- Do you want to be a part of our Guidance Crew? Guidance is looking for volunteers to assist with events in the evening during the school year and at times, to give tours of the school to incoming students. If you are interested, come to guidance.
- The Afri-nanas of Cambridge (Stephen Lewis Foundation) is looking for volunteers to help set up their Christmas in November bazaar. The deadline to apply is October 31st. Please contact Patricia at 519-620-2123 if you are interested (leave a message and she will return your call). The bazaar will be held at Knox Presbyterian Church (2 Grand Avenue South) on November 4th. Students will be required to help set up November 2nd from 3:30-5:00).
- Heritage Meadows Gracious Retirement Living is looking for volunteers in the activities department. Various duties would include assisting residents during different activities, helping set up and take down different event decorations, making props/decor for events, socializing with residents, tidying up and much more. Come into guidance for more details or call Maggie at 519-620-9999 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alison Neighbourhood Community Centre offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities. If interested, apply online at www.alisonneighbourhood.org. ANCC is located within St. Anne school.