- The lowest performing students around the world miss more school than their academically successful schoolmates.
- School attendance is critical to student’s academic success but more importantly research shows that low performance at school, generally leads to a more difficult life with less access to good jobs.
- School absenteeism from a young age has significant negative consequences that can last a lifetime.
- Research indicates that absenteeism as young as JK is associated with negative grade outcomes, greater absenteeism in the future, as well as, lower student achievement in math, reading and general knowledge.
- Any student who misses a school day misses an opportunity to learn.
What can Parents do?
Parents can improve school attendance rates by helping their children arrive at school on time every day, following school timetables, locating sources of school anxiety that may make their children want to skip school and planning ahead to minimize absences.